Click here for our ongoing HONEYBEE classes Join anytime
1. WARRE HIVES & BEEKEEPING
* Abbe Warre’s book is a free download (a BIG download)
BEEKEEPING FOR ALL
Or order a hard copy of the book from this site
BEEKEEPING FOR ALL – order book
* Build your own Warre Hive
These are great plans. $27 gets you an exquisitely detailed program: Materials and tools lists, step-by-step videos of a hive being made so you won’t make any mistakes, diagrams to follow, Q&A webinar on beekeeping, and a detailed 56 page report. We’ve used it ourselves.
2. TOP BAR HIVES
* Michael Bush’s bee site is very thorough and trustworthy.
* The Barefoot Beekeeper: Chemical-free bees in top bar hives Biobees
3. BEEKEEPING DISCUSSION LISTS
* Organic Beekeeping Group
Very active organic bee list run by Dee Lusby, 40 years experience, opinionated beek going in the right direction
* Join the Warre Beekeeping Group
4. Cool Bee Sites and Beekeepers
* Approaching the Bees with Heart (biodynamic)
* Gunther Hauk’s biodynamic honeybee sanctuary
5. Politically Active Bee Groups so you can get involved
* Partners for Sustainable Beekeeping
The Bee Guardian: Taking Initiative for the Survival of the Honeybee
The Bee Guardian
The Xerces Society: Native pollinator identification and preservation
6. Look at this …
Extraordinarily beautiful video on pollination
7. Local Folks
Join local Portland bee folks on this discussion list
Friends of Bees
Tel and Michael build warre hives and they also do bee removals from buildings. Reach them at Honeybee Removals
You can get a well-made warre hive with lots of extras (including a lift), made by Dale Hill. Be sure to mention you took my class. Nice guy that he is, he gives a $40 discount for that. My bees are doing really well in the hives he made for us.
Dale’s Hives or 503-789-1100 or 503-648-0722
Matt Reed at BEE THINKING has a nifty little store in Portland that supplies bee suits, books, hives and other bee paraphernalia.
Bee Thinking Store
* Matt & Madelyn Morris own Mickelberry Gardens where they make healing remedies, lotions, salves and balms using honey & wax from their organic hives. Mickelberry Gardens Bee Medicinals
8. A Few Extras
Audio recordings of Rudolf Steiners’s “Lectures on Bees”
This is not for the faint hearted but is a wonderful background to the biodynamic approach. These are direct translations from German and are full of much esoteric knowledge. Get your basics down first, then give this a try.
Lectures on Bees
Bait Hives for Honeybees: a primer on how to attract swarms of wild bees — Cornell University.